SVP Content, SJC MediaJune 9, 2023
- Division: Media
- Department: Content Editorial
- Reports to: Tony Gagliano, CEO, SJC and Interim President, SJC Media
- Location: Toronto, Ontario
- Status: Full-Time
SVP Content, SJC Media
SJC is Canada’s most dynamic and fastest growing communication company, delivering comprehensive marketing solutions to global brands and incredible editorial experiences to our engaged audiences reaching 20 million Canadians each month. We create and distribute many forms of media today including web, print, video, social and events and own a portfolio of the most well-regarded editorial brands in the country. Our scale is reached across North America and includes 12 distinct brands, full production content and creative studios, advertising technology platforms, and print infrastructure to achieve our client’s ambitions. SJC has been a leading innovator and employer in Canada for 67 years.
Headquartered in Toronto, SJC operates from a full-scale campus that includes our media and content groups, bringing together talented individuals to create and inspire Canadians. Lead brands include Toronto Life, FASHION, Maclean’s, Today’s Parent, HELLO!, Chatelaine, Châtelaine French, Canadian Business. SJC also owns and operates performative digital media sites including Facty, Heywise, The Getaway, The Habitat, and Critter Culture.
ABOUT THE ROLE
SJC is seeking a highly experienced Senior Vice President, Content to lead the SJC Media editorial brand portfolio across all platforms and markets. We’re looking for a visionary leader and brand evangelist who will be responsible for the editorial direction, brand strategy, audience development, operations, and all content and brand extensions. You will partner with colleagues in sales, marketing, finance, and other teams to develop and execute a robust business strategy that is aligned with editorial visions and brand values, and you will lead teams to conceptualize, execute, and deliver original, engaging, creative content that lives across platforms. Your direct reports will include media brand Editors-in-Chief, Head of Audience Development & Commerce, photography, and video leads.
You should have extensive experience managing editorial teams, brand strategy, and operations across digital, social, video, audio, events/experiences, as well as experience working collaboratively within a broad, multi-faceted organization. You should have a proven track record of building and leading teams and developing talent with diverse backgrounds. This role reports to SJC Media’s President and the position is based in Toronto, Canada.
Editorial Brand Strategy & Growth
- Grow and guide the success of the SJC Media brand portfolio (as measured by brand reputation, audience engagement/growth, consumer and commercial profit, brand profitability, etc.)
- Establish a shared vision across our brands and set a multi-year roadmap for SJC Media’s content platforms to strengthen our brand’s value and overall media offering and value proposition
- Define and implement an editorial direction and strategy for the brands that are culturally relevant while meeting agreed upon KPIs (engagement, UVs, subscriptions, loyalty, etc.) and staying within agreed upon content and resource budgets.
- Ideate and conceptualize content and brand extensions that speak to a diverse and highly engaged audience and drives global audience growth.
- Understand the evolving global media landscape and ensure the brand is responding appropriately to meet changing consumer / client needs.
- Collaborate with departments such as marketing, sales, operations, and product, to integrate content strategies and optimize operational processes.
- Partner closely with sales leadership to develop commercial opportunities and long-term strategic programs.
- Work in tandem with SJC’s leadership team to ensure the highest quality journalism is executed across markets and platforms that meets SJC’s standards and expectations.
Team Leadership & Management
- Develop and execute strategic plans for content offerings, aligning with the company’s overall objectives and market trends. Provide vision and guidance to the teams to ensure the production of compelling content that meets audience needs.
- Lead a diverse group of over 75 highly skilled editors, creatives, audience experts, and managers.
- Directly manage senior team members and lead by example in inspiring, developing, motivating, and uniting the team across brands and business segments.
- Prioritize diversity and inclusivity in all people practices including hiring, management, employee development, performance management, career path development, and team morale/culture.
- Foster an environment of collaboration, resourcefulness, and constant learning to overcome challenges while simultaneously meeting business objectives.
Business Development & Marketing
- Develop and manage the departmental budget, ensuring optimal allocation of resources. Monitor expenses, negotiate contracts, and maintain vendor relationships related to content creation.
- Stay current with industry trends, emerging technologies, and best practices in content creation, digital publishing, and audience engagement. Identify opportunities for innovation and growth within the publishing industry.
- Collaborate effectively with Finance, HR, and other business partners on annual budgets, forecasting, brand P&L, and hiring/staffing plans.
- Partner with events and commerce lead on subscription strategies, commerce opportunities, and events that are within SJC Media’s brand standards and achieves business outcomes.
- Work with relevant stakeholders in sales, marketing, commerce, and other divisions to pursue revenue opportunities that are aligned with brand and editorial values and standards, including sponsored content, affiliate and commerce revenue, events, strategic partnerships, and brand licensing, among others.
- Represent SJC Media at internal and external events.
- Work with the communications and marketing teams to develop marketing strategies for SJC Media and its brands, with an emphasis on growing brand recognition and affinity.
DESIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- 15+ years of experience in a senior editorial role, leading teams across digital, video, and print media
- Strong understanding of content development, editorial processes, and creative direction.
- Excellent leadership and management skills, with the ability to motivate and inspire teams.
- A love for storytelling and a proven track record of driving culture and identifying trends and topics to cover – and determining the platforms on which they should run.
- Exceptional business acumen, written and interpersonal communication skills, and the ability to guide a team towards business goals.
- An entrepreneurial mind-set, with a focus on new opportunities for stories and areas for audience growth.
- Proven history of delivering exceptional content in a multi-channel environment, with an innovative approach to using digital platforms.
- Experience of working closely with business teams to identify and collaborate on revenue-generating projects, whether commercial or consumer (affiliate, subscription).
- Demonstrated experience in building a culture of trust and inclusion and leading through organizational and cultural change.
- Confident and experienced public speaker.
- Strong understanding of financial planning, budgeting, and forecasting to deliver on core business objectives.
If this sounds like you, click the link above to Apply!
- Amaze our customers: We put our customers’ evolving needs at the heart of the business and inspire through our ideas, quality and service.
- Be relentlessly curious: We take the initiative to learn, try new things and brainstorm the next big idea.
- Respect every individual as equal: We value diversity as the means to creativity and cultivate a collaborative environment where everyone belongs.
- Innovate and adapt with urgency: Forward-thinking and flexible, we react quickly and boldly to change.
- Contribute to our community: We apply our resources and passions to make a difference – for people and our planet.
- Health and Dental Benefits
- Employee & Family Assistance Program (EFAP) and online health & wellness resources with Homewood Health
- Scholarship program for employees’ children
- Exclusive employee magazine subscription rates
- 1-year complimentary Toronto Life Insider membership
- Discounted annual GoodLife membership
- Perkopolis Perk Program and employee pricing at major retailers
Accommodations at SJC
SJC is an equal opportunity employer. SJC is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources department if any accommodations are needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
Inclusion at SJC
Equality and respect for all is one of our founding values and core beliefs at SJC. We are a diverse group with associates of all ages, orientations, races and talents. We celebrate this diversity and we draw strength from it. Inclusivity at SJC means fostering a culture that welcomes and respects each individual as equal – both inside our walls and within the larger community.