Director, ITNovember 8, 2022
- Division: Content & Media
- Department: Information Technology
- Reports to: EVP, Enterprise Operations
- Location: Toronto, Ontario
- Status: Full-Time
Meet SJC. We create, publish and print best-in-class content. As Canada’s largest privately owned communications company, we partner with our clients to provide marketing solutions that inform, inspire and empower audiences across every platform. Owner and publisher of Canada’s most iconic portfolio of media brands (Toronto Life, Chatelaine and Maclean’s to name a few), we provide incredible reach to an influential audience. SJC has been recognized as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies for the last 18 years.
Are you ready to join a forward-thinking, creative and collaborative team? Then come join our Enterprise Operations team in the role of Director, IT.
As Director, IT, you’ll create and implement the IT transformation strategy. Lead, support and grow our technology capabilities. You’ll have a deep understanding of the ins and outs of all things IT and your connections in the industry are second to none. Where you’ll really shine is how you optimize our infrastructure and lead us into the future of IT and technology operations.
In this role you will:
- Oversee IT operations and supervise systems and IT staff
- Create a cybersecurity plan by identifying gaps and implementing measures to protect the organization
- Collaborate with enterprise-wide teams such as HR and Finance, to help with department-specific implementations
- Evolve IT to act as a strategic business partner to operating managers
- Develop strategy as it relates to the organization’s IT infrastructure (information, security, communication and production systems)
- Continually enhance overall quality of our technology service offering
- Develop, manage, and track the IT department’s annual budget
- Consult senior-level stakeholders across the entire organization to identify business and technology needs to enhance and optimize technology within the organization
- Ensure smooth delivery and operation of IT services by monitoring systems performance
- Create processes and standards for selection, implementation, and support of systems
- Provide direction, guidance, and training to the IT team
- Continuously update the EVP, Operations on day-to-day IT operations and project status
- Be a master at developing and implementing solutions
- Work efficiently, calmly and collaboratively in a fast-paced, high-volume environment
- Perform other duties as required
- Security, DRP & legislative requirements
And a bit about yourself:
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Information Systems, or a related field
- 8+ years of experience working in IT operations, supervising technology teams, and overseeing large information technology projects
- Excellent understanding of computer systems, security, cloud computing and data storage platforms
- Project Management expertise
- Experience in a content production and/or a publishing environment is a major asset
- Strong leadership, communication (oral and written) and organizational skills with the natural ability to work under assigned deadlines and make decisions that best represent the objectives of the organization
- Ability to identify problems and suggest potential solutions
- Resourceful in researching and problem-solving skills
- Strong knowledge of project management principles
If this sounds like you, apply below!
- Amaze our customers: We put our customers’ evolving needs at the heart of the business and inspire through our ideas, quality and service.
- Be relentlessly curious: We take the initiative to learn, try new things and brainstorm the next big idea.
- Respect every individual as equal: We value diversity as the means to creativity and cultivate a collaborative environment where everyone belongs.
- Innovate and adapt with urgency: Forward-thinking and flexible, we react quickly and boldly to change.
- Contribute to our community: We apply our resources and passions to make a difference – for people and our planet.
- Health and Dental Benefits
- Employee & Family Assistance Program (EFAP) and online health & wellness resources with Homewood Health
- Scholarship program for employees’ children
- Exclusive employee magazine subscription rates
- 1-year complimentary Toronto Life Insider membership
- Discounted annual GoodLife membership
- Perkopolis Perk Program and employee pricing at major retailers
Accommodations at SJC
SJC is an equal opportunity employer. SJC is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources department if any accommodations are needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
Inclusion at SJC
Equality and respect for all is one of our founding values and core beliefs at SJC. We are a diverse group with associates of all ages, orientations, races and talents. We celebrate this diversity and we draw strength from it. Inclusivity at SJC means fostering a culture that welcomes and respects each individual as equal – both inside our walls and within the larger community.