Senior Software DeveloperApril 21, 2021
- Division: Print
- Department: Information Technology
- Reports to: Director of Information Technology
- Location: Vaughan
- Status: Full-Time
Scope/ Overview of Position:
This position provides custom application development, integration, reporting services and support for a variety of business and customer-facing functions and applications. The Senior Software Developer will be involved in the design, architecture, analysis, development, testing and support of web-based database applications as well as client server and integration with off-the-shelf systems and API’s.
Key Responsibilities & Duties:
- Work closely with other team members and/or initiate in the development of custom software applications
- Provide support to customer and users in order to ensure that applications are performing according to specifications
- Adhere to the software development life cycle:
- Participate in the definition of and/or understand of user requirements
- Participate in the definition of and/or understand of project plans and specifications
- Participate in the design and/or implemention of databases, user interfaces, business logic and reports in a timely
- manner, as per the project plan and any recommended design guidelines
- Provide quality assurance for applications and reports by testing thoroughly and soliciting the assistance of the end user
- Review and revise, as required
- Keep proper documentation of all projects
- Participate in meetings with end users, management and/or customers regarding software specifications and the design of software solutions
- Participate in project estimate and task timelines, as well as providing feedback and recommendations as to feasibility and success of projects
- Recommend improvements to existing applications as well as new coding practices and techniques
- Provide assistance, training and guidance to junior and intermediate programmers
- Handle various projects and tasks as required by the Manager of Software Development
- Ensure that his/her workstation is kept safe, neat and clean at all times.
- Use or wear any equipment, protective devices or clothing required by the company;
- Report any defect in any equipment or protective device e.g. PPE, machine guarding which may be hazardous to either themselves or another worker.
- Refrain from removing or disabling any protective device.
- Only operate equipment on which they have been trained and authorized.
- Report any injury, illness or hazardous condition/act immediately to their supervisor or manager.
- Participate in all required health and safety training.
- Works within and adheres to all St. Joseph Health and Safety Operating Standards, including Operating Standard HS-010 Associate/Supplied Labour/Temporary Associate Responsibilities.
- Adhere to all company policies and procedures.
- Perform all job functions in a safe and healthful manner, abiding by and in accordance with all applicable Health, Safety and Environmental company policies and government legislation/regulations.
- Adhere to the Company’s Quality System operating procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Management.
Qualifications, Education and Experience Required:
- Must have Computer Science degree or equivalent training in full-stack application and software development and database programming
- Must have practical knowledge of the development life cycle
- Must be able to work alone and in a team development environment
- Good communication and interpersonal skills are required
- Ability to assume a key role in any given project related to application development, design and integration
- Good documentation skills are necessary
- Knowledge or experience in the following would be an asset:
Company Sponsored Training:
- Associate Health & Safety Overview
- Bill 168 Awareness
- Emergency Evacuation Procedure
- Hazard Recognition/Reporting
- Lock-Out/Tag-Out Overview
- New Employee HSE Orientation
- New Employee Human Resources Orientation
- Job Specific Orientation
- PPE – Use and Maintenance
- Spills Response Training – General Overview
- Workplace Hazardous Material Information Systems (WHMIS)
- ISO Awareness Training
SJC is an equal opportunity employer. SJC is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources department if any accommodations are needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
Equality and respect for all is one of our founding values and core beliefs at SJC. We are a diverse group with associates of all ages, orientations, races and talents. We celebrate this diversity and we draw strength from it. Inclusivity at SJC means fostering a culture that welcomes and respects each individual as equal – both inside our walls and within the larger community.