Senior Editor, Hello! CanadaOctober 13, 2020
- Division: Media
- Department: Hello! Canada
- Reports to: Editor-in-Chief, Hello! Canada
- Location: Toronto
- Status: Full-Time
St. Joseph Communications is the largest producer of magazines in Canada, with award-winning titles such as Hello! Canada, FASHION, Maclean’s, Chatelaine, Toronto Life, Weddingbells, Mariage Québec, and Quill & Quire.
Hello! Canada, the country’s top-selling magazine on newsstands, is seeking an energetic all-star to step into the role of Senior Editor. As the editorial backbone of this fast-paced weekly magazine, you thrive in high-pressure situations and work best when up against a deadline. You’re also highly organized and adept at planning. You have both a sense of urgency, and a sense of humour. When you’re not assigning articles or applying your superlative editing skills to a high volume of content, you’ll be tapping into your network of entertainment-industry PR contacts in Canada and the U.S. to secure interview and photo-shoot opportunities for HELLO! The ideal candidate will have an excellent working knowledge of celebrities, entertainment and royalty, as well as familiarity with Hello!‘s style, tone and audience.
Bigger-picture, your role is to help drive the editorial vision of Hello! Canada, in collaboration and consultation with the editor-in-chief and creative director. If you have 10 or more years of magazine editing experience, a passion for celebrity and royal news and, like us, relish the opportunity to create a brand-new product every week for a highly engaged audience, this could be the job for you!
- Editing multiple news stories, features, and departments of a weekly magazine
- Co-ordinating editorial coverage of events
- Managing and scheduling the writing team and roster of freelance writers, copy editors, and fact checkers
- Generating story ideas from and within the editorial team
- Liaising with art and photo departments to build news stories and features
- Building and managing relationships with publicists
- Leading key packages e.g. TIFF
- Managing the editorial freelance budget
- Deputizing for the editor-in-chief as necessary
- Representing Hello! externally as necessary
Qualifications and Requirements:
- At least 10 years’ magazine experience, in a senior role
- The ability to edit, write, and rewrite at high speed
- A knack for snappy display copy
- Superb interpersonal skills
- A zest for deadlines
- Experience managing a small team
- An extensive knowledge of celebrities (both local and international), entertainment, and royalty
- A good working knowledge of Hello!’s content and style
- A network of publicist contacts, both at home and abroad
- Excellent organizational skills
- Experience working in InCopy
- Patience, good humour, and flexibility (work hours are longer on press days)
- Stamina – our weekly schedule requires resilience
Values & Guiding Principles
These key values are inherent to SJC’s success: innovation, respect, passion, customer focus, proactiveness and accountability. They also guide our everyday behaviour and motivate us to exceed client expectations in all that we do.
SJC is an equal opportunity employer. SJC is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources department if any accommodations are needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
Equality and respect for all is one of our founding values and core beliefs at SJC. We are a diverse group with associates of all ages, orientations, races and talents. We celebrate this diversity and we draw strength from it. Inclusivity at SJC means fostering a culture that welcomes and respects each individual as equal – both inside our walls and within the larger community.