Senior Editor, CAA WestOctober 18, 2021
- Division: Strategic Content Labs
- Department: Editorial & Creative
- Reports to: Editor-in-Chief, CAA Group of Magazines
- Location: Toronto
- Status: Full-Time
Strategic Content Labs (SCL) is the custom content division of SJC Media, Canada’s largest magazine publisher. SCL manages a variety of portfolios such as, CAA, CPA’s Pivot, and Canadian Geographic that include traditional media, integrated content, digital, social, sponsorships, experiential, and more.
CAA West Magazine is a portfolio of three quarterly custom publications produced on behalf of CAA Manitoba, CAA Saskatchewan, and the Alberta Motor Association (AMA). The titles cover a range of topics, including travel, automotive, home and local experiences.
As Senior Editor, you’ll work closely with the Editor-in-Chief to produce engaging content, while providing superior client-management service. The Senior Editor also manages online content for AMAinsider.com, the magazine website we produce for AMA.
The ideal candidate is a seasoned storyteller with a passion for crafting compelling copy, writing must-read display, engaging audiences on print and digital platforms, and collaborating with fresh, innovative ideas in a fast-paced, dynamic team environment.
- Develop, assign, and edit stories across all sections of the print magazine (upfront, features, back-of-book)
- Research and write some features, columns, and digital content, including interviews with industry experts and CAA personnel
- Coordinate with CAA clients to translate business objectives into compelling, reader-friendly content
- Oversee and manage AMAinsider.com: write and assign weekly posts; source images; manage client approval of content; upload stories to WordPress
- Work with the art team to ensure the design of stories is consistent and meets client expectations
- Copy edit and proofread stories to meet style guidelines
- Input fact-checking and proof-reading changes in Word and InDesign
- In collaboration with the Editor-in-Chief, manage deadlines and budgets
- Consult on other CAA content initiatives, as necessary
Key Success Skills:
- Content editing – draft story briefs for freelance writers; assign stories; substantive editing; copy editing; fact-checking; proofreading
- Writing – craft compelling content that meets client business objectives and informs our readership
- Client management – act as the day-to-day lead editorial contact for one of our CAA clubs
- Ideation – brainstorm concepts and story ideas for each issue
- Website management – assign/edit or write digital content, and upload copy and images via WordPress
- A minimum 4-5 years of writing and editing experience, preferably within print & digital magazines
- A post-secondary degree/diploma with a focus in Journalism, Communications, Marketing or a related field
- Good knowledge of InDesign, WordPress, and MS Office (Word, Excel) Suite
- Familiarity with Virtual Publisher and Teamwork is an asset
- Client/account management experience is an asset
- Experience drafting lifestyle blog articles and managing blogs/websites
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a strong creative aptitude (copy writing, design direction)
- Self-motivated with the ability to work as part of a team, as well as independently
- Customer focused, energetic and savvy with strong attention to detail
- Proven organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to multi-task, and manage multiple competing requests with a high sense of urgency
- Superior project-management skills with a high attention to detail
- The ability to consistently meet tight deadlines
SJC is an equal opportunity employer. SJC is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources department if any accommodations are needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
Equality and respect for all is one of our founding values and core beliefs at SJC. We are a diverse group with associates of all ages, orientations, races and talents. We celebrate this diversity and we draw strength from it. Inclusivity at SJC means fostering a culture that welcomes and respects each individual as equal – both inside our walls and within the larger community.