Human Resources ManagerSeptember 10, 2021
- Division: Content & Media
- Department: Human Resouces
- Reports to: Chief Operating Officer, SJC Content
- Location: Toronto
- Status: Full-Time
Are you ready to join a forward-thinking, innovative and ambitious team? Then come join us at St. Joseph Communications (SJC) in the role of Human Resources Manager!
As a platinum member of one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies, we look for people who embrace our values: a commitment to creative solutions for our clients, taking the initiative and supporting a team environment that is respectful and welcoming to all.
Working at SJC means that you’ll be joining over 1,000 talented associates that make up Canada’s largest privately owned media and communications company. SJC publishes Canada’s most iconic, trusted brands including Maclean’s, Chatelaine, Today’s Parent, Toronto Life, HELLO! Canada, FASHION and Canadian Business. Our Content division works with many of the country’s most well-known retailers and brands to create content for all platforms including digital, social, broadcast, print and in-store.
In the role of Human Resources (HR) Manager, you will report to the Chief Operating Officer, SJC Content and assume responsibilities as the most senior HR leader for SJC Content and SJC Media.
The HR Manager is responsible for the day-to-day execution and implementation of HR programs and initiatives, ensuring compliance to legislation and company policies with an end result of positively impacting the business and its employees. This is a hands-on role where the successful hire will be just as comfortable with daily HR transactions as they are sitting at the table with senior leaders discussing business strategies.
Our manager will be a modern HR practitioner who is comfortable asking why, coming up with solutions and embarking on new directions or ideas. HR visibility, change management experience, and relationship building are key to this role.
In this role you will be:
- Collaborating with business leaders to formulate organizational design and structure recommendations and to support implementation as needed.
- Identifying, developing, recommending and implementing HR strategies/goals in partnership with business managers.
- Coaching and advising Managers regarding employee relations, talent, and performance management issues.
- Practicing an ‘Open Door’ policy and providing overall Human Resources support to associates.
- Proactively analyzing current/emerging HR situations and advising of potential outcomes and solutions to senior management
- Participating in various SJC company-wide Human Resources initiatives related to retention, employee engagement, benefits, and policy development.
- Managing the performance management program, all communications, and ensuring timely participation and follow through on outstanding issues.
- Providing guidance, coaching and mentorship to direct reports.
- Overseeing recruiting including handling request-to-hire approvals, sourcing, conducting interviews and preparing/negotiating offer letters.
- Leading termination procedures from budget to execution to post-termination activities.
- Monitoring and managing benefits programs to ensure fiscal responsibility and service delivery.
- Identifying, delivering and supporting education/learning initiatives.
- Working with Payroll to ensure all HR data, files and transactions are up to date and regulations are followed.
- Working closely with Finance on HR metrics, tracking, reporting and analyses such as headcount, salary budgeting and forecasting.
- Providing support and/or involvement on committees and projects, as required.
And a bit about you:
- Post-secondary degree/diploma in conjunction with Certified Human Resources Professional/Leader designation.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a HR Management capacity.
- Experience working in a rapidly evolving/scaling company, managing multiple projects concurrently.
- Experience in Labour relations, as well as Media and/or Agency experience are assets.
- Excellent relationship management, communication, and negotiation skills, along with solid business acumen.
- Strong ability to coach, counsel and advise both employees and senior managers with a consultative approach to problem solving.
- Strong understanding of national employment legislation, with significant focus on Ontario ESA legislation.
- Good understanding of payroll practices and process.
So what’s in it for you?•
- Entrepreneurial and dynamic workplace
- Group Benefits
- 50% discount to GoodLife Fitness
- Perkopolis Perk Program
- Magazine Subscription Program
- Professional Development Opportunities
- Scholarship Program
- Chairman’s Award Program
- TD Home and Auto preferred Insurance program
- Employee pricing at major brands and retail
SJC is an equal opportunity employer. SJC is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources department if any accommodations are needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
Equality and respect for all is one of our founding values and core beliefs at SJC. We are a diverse group with associates of all ages, orientations, races and talents. We celebrate this diversity and we draw strength from it. Inclusivity at SJC means fostering a culture that welcomes and respects each individual as equal – both inside our walls and within the larger community.