Executive Editor, ChatelaineSeptember 14, 2021
- Division: Media
- Department: Chatelaine
- Reports to: Editor-in-Chief, Chatelaine
- Location: Toronto
- Status: Full-Time
Chatelaine is looking for an executive editor to join our small but mighty team in a pivotal role. The ideal candidate is a seasoned editor with a far-reaching network, a wide range of ideas about what issues are relevant to Canadian women and a deep respect for our 35+ audience.
In this position, you’ll have a strong voice in driving forward our iconic media brand.
Key duties include:
- Developing Chatelaine’s print and digital strategy alongside editor-in-chief and deputy editor.
- Conceptualizing and executing compelling, thought-provoking, conversation-generating features and editorial packages across print and digital.
- Managing print line-ups and production alongside editor-in-chief, including leading pitch and production meetings, and conducting press approvals.
- Assisting deputy editor in site management, as required.
- Managing, mentoring and empowering junior team members and editorial interns.
- Identifying, recruiting and nurturing relationships with an inclusive roster of freelance talent, both up-and-coming and established.
- Launching and managing Chatelaine’s mid-career fellowship alongside editor-in-chief and deputy editor.
- Liaising with sales on digital executions, as required, including conceptualizing and executing sponsored content.
- Constantly pushing forward Chatelaine’s inclusivity mandates in terms of the people we work with and the stories we tell.
- Representing Chatelaine in the media, on panels and at events.
Our ideal candidate is a creative and compassionate leader who has:
- Five to seven years of editorial experience—including a managerial role—at a national media brand.
- A strong network of freelance talent.
- Grace under pressure, the ability to roll with changes and a stockpile of memes at the ready for our Slack channel.
SJC is an equal opportunity employer. SJC is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources department if any accommodations are needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
Equality and respect for all is one of our founding values and core beliefs at SJC. We are a diverse group with associates of all ages, orientations, races and talents. We celebrate this diversity and we draw strength from it. Inclusivity at SJC means fostering a culture that welcomes and respects each individual as equal – both inside our walls and within the larger community.