Director, Data AnalyticsJanuary 19, 2023
- Division: Media
- Department: Audience Development
- Reports to: GM of Audience Development, Analytics and Commerce.
- Location: Toronto, Ontario
- Status: Full-Time
Meet SJC. We create best-in-class content and build engaged communities. We partner with our clients to provide marketing solutions that inform, inspire and empower audiences across every platform. Owner and publisher of an iconic portfolio of media brands (think Macleans, Toronto Life, FASHION, Today’s Parent, Chatelaine) we provide incredible reach to an influential audience.
SJC Media is actively recruiting a Director, Data Analytics who will be an integral hire in the building of a new cross-functional team, Audience, Analytics and Commerce and the future success of our media brands and audiences. In this role, the successful candidate will lead data and analytics across the company and be a strategic partner to our Editorial, Sales, Branded Content, and Audience teams, as we better integrate our media business with crucial data platforms to drive powerful brand outcomes. The Sr. Manager, Analytics will harness a variety of tools and datasets to build compelling measurement, and insights-driven recommendations, products and systems.
You’ll be responsible for developing our internal data infrastructure, including analytics and data management platforms, and ensuring our teams are getting the most value from the data we acquire. As our in-house data expert, you’ll manage and develop our zero and first-party audience data, a vital asset as our media organization enters a new environment, less reliant on third-party cookies.
The Director, Data Analytics will have a passion for data and problem solving and a desire to deeply understand our audience and reader behaviors. The ideal candidate will be comfortable leaning in to learn technical processes that may be unfamiliar to them and working cross-functionally as needed. As part of a rapidly-growing media environment, this position requires strong ambition and drive, communication skills, attention to detail and a passion for being resourceful.
What you’ll be doing
- Serve as the in-house expert on data and analytics at SJC Media, effectively building and managing our data infrastructure and customer/audience data, enabling us to form actionable insights and develop owned customer data sets
- Acquire and analyze large sets of audience data to identify trends & patterns and generate insights to inform growth opportunities across editorial, audience, sales, commerce and product.
- Effectively implement and manage our analytics solutions across our 9+ websites and provide training and support to different teams
- Design and develop our customer data platform (CDP/DMP) based on assessing our current and future needs as a multi-brand media organization, enabling us to acquire owned audiences with valuable zero and first-party data
- Partner and collaborate with our Audience Development team to identify new content and digital product opportunities for our family of media brands
- Contribute to Sales reports/decks that communicate data (campaign performance, test results and ad-hoc analyses) as a compelling narrative
- Contribute to the development and execution of tests to measure the incremental impact of media on brand partner outcomes and with our online audiences
The skills you have
- You have significant experience in digital media, with expertise in analytics or data
- Hands-on experience coding in SQL, with familiarity with database & data systems design and management including data modeling (familiar with using R or Python for analysis and process optimization)
- Excellent project management skills with an ability to set and achieve goals, meet deadlines and act with a strong sense of urgency without compromising
- You have a minimum of 2+ years developing and managing audience performance benchmarking for digital media brands
- You excel at distilling meaningful insights for content teams from a variety of data sources and are able to derive data-driven analysis
- You have experience fielding and presenting advertising effectiveness research and/or familiarity with third-party measurement solutions
- You are comfortable speaking in front of groups both internally and externally
- You have proficiency with Excel, Google Analytics and various reporting and data management or customer data platforms (ex. Blueconic, Permutive)
- You have a genuine desire to understand our readers and how they engage with our brands, as well as how advertisers leverage our digital properties and content
- You have the ability to thrive and invent structure in a constantly evolving, amorphous environment.
- Amaze our customers: We put our customers’ evolving needs at the heart of the business and inspire through our ideas, quality and service.
- Be relentlessly curious: We take the initiative to learn, try new things and brainstorm the next big idea.
- Respect every individual as equal: We value diversity as the means to creativity and cultivate a collaborative environment where everyone belongs.
- Innovate and adapt with urgency: Forward-thinking and flexible, we react quickly and boldly to change.
- Contribute to our community: We apply our resources and passions to make a difference – for people and our planet.
Accommodations at SJC
SJC is an equal opportunity employer. SJC is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources department if any accommodations are needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
Inclusion at SJC
Equality and respect for all is one of our founding values and core beliefs at SJC. We are a diverse group with associates of all ages, orientations, races and talents. We celebrate this diversity and we draw strength from it. Inclusivity at SJC means fostering a culture that welcomes and respects each individual as equal – both inside our walls and within the larger community.