Creative DesignerMarch 4, 2022
- Division: Content
- Department: Creative
- Reports to: SVP Creative
- Location: Toronto
- Status: Full-Time
Meet SJC. We create, publish and print best-in-class content. As Canada’s largest privately owned communications company, we partner with our clients to provide marketing solutions that inform, inspire and empower audiences across every platform. Owner and publisher of Canada’s most iconic portfolio of media brands (Toronto Life, Chatelaine and Maclean’s to name a few), we provide incredible reach to an influential audience.
Are you ready to join a forward-thinking, creative and collaborative team? Then come join us at SJC Content in the role of Creative Designer.
Your scribbles are more than that. It’s the beginning of your creative process and the start of every great design. Every dot, line or pixel matters because it makes a difference in your world.
From its full-service multi-studio facility, SJC Content works with leading brands and retailers to create content for every channel, including photography, video, social animation, interactive e-commerce content and digital signage.
As a Creative Designer, you are able to visualize and execute creative solutions that bring concepts to life – by way of ink on paper or by pixels on digital screens. You are obsessed with following the latest trends in typography, photography and Adobe hacks. You also live and breathe creativity but understand intuitively what works and what doesn’t.
In this role you will:
- Work from briefing documents to understand client challenges, objectives and brand strategies
- Collaborate with team members to roll out approved concepts
- Apply current design sensibilities to projects, with an excellent understanding of colour theory, layout, design and overall composition for traditional and digital content
- Develop graphics, layouts and story-boards for multi-channels: flyers, in-store print & digital signage, social, online, video, etc.
- Maintain creative and brand consistency across multiple channels
- Create and execute content for online, digital and print deliverables
- Keep abreast with trends in branding, marketing, advertising, and related communication industries
- Work on time-sensitive projects, multi-task and adhere to project requirements and deadlines
And a bit about you:
- A minimum of 3 to 5 years experience working with an advertising agency/national retailer in a graphic designer role
- Post-secondary education in related field: graduate of recognized graphics program or related field or equivalent to visual design
- A strong knowledge of layouts, graphic fundamentals, brand development and creative process
- Proficient in Adobe CS (Indesign, Illustrator, Photoshop) and Keynote/PowerPoint
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (oral, written, presentation) skills and astute with e-communication
- Strong organizational/planning skills, with the ability to manage workload issues and prioritize project needs
- Detail oriented, accurate and efficient
- Positive working relationships built throughout the organization with a professional attitude
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to multi-task and deal with ambiguity
- Action-oriented and a self-starter who is reliable, full of energy, and enjoys challenges
- Must be reliable and willing to put in extra time as required to meet project deadlines
If this sounds like you, apply below!
- Amaze our customers: We put our customers’ evolving needs at the heart of the business and inspire through our ideas, quality and service.
- Be relentlessly curious: We take the initiative to learn, try new things and brainstorm the next big idea.
- Respect every individual as equal: We value diversity as the means to creativity and cultivate a collaborative environment where everyone belongs.
- Innovate and adapt with urgency: Forward-thinking and flexible, we react quickly and boldly to change.
- Contribute to our community: We apply our resources and passions to make a difference – for people and our planet.
- Health and Dental Benefits
- Employee & Family Assistance Program (EFAP) and online health & wellness resources with Homewood Health
- Scholarship program for employees’ children
- Exclusive employee magazine subscription rates
- 1-year complimentary Toronto Life Insider membership
- Discounted annual GoodLife membership
- Perkopolis Perk Program and employee pricing at major retailers
Accommodations at SJC
SJC is an equal opportunity employer. SJC is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources department if any accommodations are needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
Inclusion at SJC
Equality and respect for all is one of our founding values and core beliefs at SJC. We are a diverse group with associates of all ages, orientations, races and talents. We celebrate this diversity and we draw strength from it. Inclusivity at SJC means fostering a culture that welcomes and respects each individual as equal – both inside our walls and within the larger community.