Associate Editor/Staff Writer, HELLO! Canada (1-year contract)April 11, 2022
- Division: Media
- Department: Editorial & Creative
- Reports to: Editor in Chief
- Location: Toronto
- Status: Contract
Meet SJC. We create, publish and print best-in-class content. As Canada’s largest privately owned communications company, we partner with our clients to provide marketing solutions that inform, inspire and empower audiences across every platform. Owner and publisher of Canada’s most iconic portfolio of media brands (Toronto Life, Chatelaine and Maclean’s to name a few), we provide incredible reach to an influential audience.
Are you ready to join a forward-thinking, creative and collaborative team? Then come join us at HELLO! Canada in the role of Associate Editor/Staff Writer.
SJC Media is the home of award-winning titles such as FASHION, Chatelaine, HELLO! Canada, Maclean’s, Today’s Parent, Toronto Life, Ottawa Magazine and Canadian Business, producing magazines and digital products for millions of Canadians. Strategic Content Labs (SCL) is SJC’s custom content division creating award-winning websites, apps and magazines for some of Canada’s leading brands and institutions.
HELLO! Canada, the country’s top-selling magazine on newsstands, is seeking an energetic all-star to step into the role of Associate Editor/Staff Writer for a 1-year contract. We are looking for a writer who is a big fan of all things celebrity, entertainment and of course, ROYAL! So, if you thrive in high-pressure situations, work best when up against a deadline, are confident in tracking down interviews, have a breezy writing style and sense of humour – and you know your Kate Middleton from your Kate Winslet – we would love to hear from you!
In this role you will:
- Research and write short and feature-length articles
- Pitch celebrity interviews
- Generate story ideas
- Co-ordinate editorial coverage of a specific section of the magazine
And a bit about you:
- At least 5 years’ magazine experience
- The ability to write, at high speed with a knack for snappy copy
- A network of publicist contacts, both at home and in Hollywood, is an asset
- Experience working in InCopy
- Patience, good humour, and flexibility (work hours are longer on press days)
- Stamina – our weekly schedule requires resilience
If this sounds like you, apply below!
- Amaze our customers: We put our customers’ evolving needs at the heart of the business and inspire through our ideas, quality and service.
- Be relentlessly curious: We take the initiative to learn, try new things and brainstorm the next big idea.
- Respect every individual as equal: We value diversity as the means to creativity and cultivate a collaborative environment where everyone belongs.
- Innovate and adapt with urgency: Forward-thinking and flexible, we react quickly and boldly to change.
- Contribute to our community: We apply our resources and passions to make a difference – for people and our planet.
- Health and Dental Benefits
- Employee & Family Assistance Program (EFAP) and online health & wellness resources with Homewood Health
- Scholarship program for employees’ children
- Exclusive employee magazine subscription rates
- 1-year complimentary Toronto Life Insider membership
- Discounted annual GoodLife membership
- Perkopolis Perk Program and employee pricing at major retailers
Accommodations at SJC
SJC is an equal opportunity employer. SJC is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources department if any accommodations are needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
Inclusion at SJC
Equality and respect for all is one of our founding values and core beliefs at SJC. We are a diverse group with associates of all ages, orientations, races and talents. We celebrate this diversity and we draw strength from it. Inclusivity at SJC means fostering a culture that welcomes and respects each individual as equal – both inside our walls and within the larger community.