Art Director – MotionSeptember 7, 2021
- Division: Content
- Department: Creative
- Reports to: Senior VP, Creative
- Location: Toronto
- Status: Full-Time
St. Joseph Communications really comes down to one thing: 1,000 awesome associates focused on providing solutions for our clients.
We offer “Beyond Content” solutions such as integrated tactical marketing and content at SJC Content, printing and logistics at SJC Print’s various locations, and media solutions with our media brands including Toronto Life, FASHION, Maclean’s, Today’s Parent, Chatelaine, and HELLO! Canada, along with our Strategic Content Labs division.
SJC has been named as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies for 18 consecutive years with distinction as a Platinum member.
Are you ready to join a forward thinking, innovative, and solution-focused team? Then come join us at SJC in the role of Art Director – Motion!
You have an insatiable curiosity about everything – creative and otherwise. This passion infuses your work and creates compelling visual stories that engage, inspire and inform customers.
The successful candidate must have experience in digital design, motion graphics, animation, video editing and 3D video production.
As an Art Director, you love bringing concepts and designs to life. You are able to translate marketing briefs into strategic creative solutions and deliver innovative multi-channel ideas that are on-brand. Beyond your creative talents, you also mentor, supervise and guide others in their professional and creative development. You also contribute to the strength of the Creative team by nurturing client relationships alongside account directors via effective written and in-person communication, professional interaction, and outstanding work. You will take the lead on art direction and design of multi-platform motion graphics projects for a wide range of digital deliverables including: 2D and 3D animated pieces, interactive experiences, VFX-based motion graphics, UI design, tracking, compositing and integration of graphic elements within live action content as well as titles and bumpers.
Want to know a bit about your new career?
In this role you will:
- Demonstrate the ability to think strategically on a big-picture scale and an insatiable appetite for continuous improvement
- Take ownership of assigned projects, from start to completion, with an eye to detail
- Develop omni-channel creative and campaigns for retail banners that are on strategy and brand consistent
- Interpret creative briefs and translate them into compelling creative concepts and visual/interactive designs
- Partner with other creative team members to brainstorm and create concepts for storyboards, production, motion design, compositing and audio mixing
- Processing, editing and post-production of video and images and colour correction
- Creating 2D and 3D animations for social media, online video, company advertising and branding campaigns
- Collaborate with the client’s business teams: senior management, brand, marketing, merchandising and product managers, etc.
- Adhere to schedules and/or work-back summaries with milestones identified
- Keep up-to-date on trends in branding, marketing, advertising, digital, animation and related communications industries
- Provide mentorship, guidance and support to other Art Directors, Animators and Designers within the group
- Present and clearly articulate creative solutions to all levels of audiences
- Maintain a high level of professionalism while juggling multiple deadlines, in a fast-paced creative and production environment
And a bit about yourself?
- In order to be considered for this position you must provide a link to or attachment of your portfolio/demo reel including projects completed at a professional level in the last 4 years
- 4-6 years of work experience in a digital agency environment as an Animator, Editor, Designer or Art Director
- Post-secondary education in a related field, graduate of a recognized creative, 3D or motion design program
- Prior experience on-set with photographers, video editors and crew members, providing direction for post-production technical needs including motion tracking, screen colour keying and 3D compositing
- Strong knowledge of brand development, storyboarding, graphic fundamentals, typography, composition and photographic/videography direction as they relate to print and digital channels
- Proficient with design, video edit and animation apps in the Adobe CC suite including: Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects as well as presentation software such as Keynote
- Proficient in Cinema 4D with Octane or Redshift
- Experience with Virtual Production for commercial video via Unreal Engine
- Thorough understanding of retail advertising and communication, digital & interactive communications, social and mass advertising, marketing and industry best practices
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (oral, written, presentation) skills
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to problem-solve workload issues and project needs
- Intelligence in new media literacy and storytelling
SJC Content is an equal opportunity employer. SJC Content is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources department if any accommodations are needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
Equality and respect for all is one of our founding values and core beliefs at SJC Content. We are a diverse group with associates of all ages, orientations, races and talents. We celebrate this diversity and we draw strength from it. Inclusivity at SJC Content means fostering a culture that welcomes and respects each individual as equal – both inside our walls and within the larger community